Property News

Almost every day people ask us about the legal aspects regarding buying and owning property in Bali. So for those who are interested we hereby

publish the basic rules regarding owning Real Estate in Bali. Indonesian Ownership and Property laws and Regulations. For exact and up-to-date

information about this (difficult) subject always consult a lawyer or notary in your area. This because there can be exceptions depending on the

area in Bali.

In general one can conclude that that there many unclear areas in the Indonesian law, but it is generally safe to acquire properties. Can a foreign

person or other foreign entity legally purchase property in Indonesia? The Indonesian government issued Law 5 of 1960 on the "Basic Regulation

Of Land in Indonesia" ("UU 5/1960"), which came into force on 24 September 1960. This law explicitly and implicitly revoked many older laws.

As a result, it can be said that UU 5/1960 established revolutionary new rules and principles concerning rights in land. UU 5/1960 recognized and

regulated several rights over land and houses, including the: Right of Ownership (Hak Milik), Right to Cultivate (Hak Guna Usaha), Right of Building

(Hak Guna Bangunan), Right of Use (Hak Pakai), and Right of Building Lease (Hak Sewa Atas Bangunan).

The freehold property option for foreigners. The most used (and unfortunately for the unwary, misused) option is to use an Indonesian name holder for

your property, with who you make contracts. These contracts give you the right to use the property. See for more information below. We cannot stress

enough that these contracts should be checked and double checked. No matter how friendly the people are that offer their help, ask advice from a well

know legal company or notary in Bali. Right of Ownership Is the most comprehensive and complete form of individual rights over land.

There is no time limit, and the holder has the right to use the land, including the earth underneath and the water and air above. It does not, however,

include the right to obtain wealth from resources underneath the earth. Right of Ownership may be had only by Indonesian citizens. The Right to

Cultivate Is the right to cultivate State-owned land or to use it for other agricultural purposes for a certain period of time. There are two kinds of Right

to Cultivate: for farming enterprises that are smaller than 25 hectares and for enterprises that are 25 hectares or more. Government Regulation 40 of 1996 on

the Right to Cultivate, Right of Building, and Right of Use ("PP 40/1997") states that the period for Right to Cultivate is not to exceed 35 years initially but can

be extended for another 25 years. When the extension period expires, the Right To Cultivate shall be renewed over the same land.

The Right to Cultivate may only be owned by Indonesian citizens and companies established under Indonesian law and domiciled in Indonesia. Is a right

over land, either State-owned or private, with which the holder may erect and possess buildings for a certain period of time not to exceed thirty years

(can be extended for another twenty years). When the extension period expires, Right of Building shall be renewed. There are no limitations on the size

of the holding. Right of Building may only be owned by Indonesian citizens and companies established under Indonesian law and domiciled in Indonesia.

Right of Use is a right over land, either State-owned or private, which gives the holder the right to use and obtain the product of a certain piece of land.

The land to which Right of Use is applied may be used as a building site or for agricultural purposes. PP 40/1997 states that the initial period for Right

of Use is not to exceed 25 years but can be extended for another twenty years or even indefinitely if the land is still in use for a certain reason. Right of

Use may be owned by Indonesian citizens, resident foreigners, Indonesian companies domiciled in Indonesia, and foreign companies that have a

representative office in Indonesia. Currently it is easy for foreigners in Bali to obtain the right of use. Right of Building Lease. Is a right to lease land, either

State-owned or private, which gives the holder the right to use the land in return for compensation. The payment could be one-time or periodical as determined

by mutual understanding between the parties. Right of Building Lease may be owned by Indonesian citizens, resident foreigners, Indonesian companies domiciled in

Indonesia, and foreign companies that have a representative office in Indonesia.

Property Rights of Foreigners UU 5/1960 only allows foreigners to obtain Right of Use or Right of Building Lease. However, UU 5/1960 only provides very

general information on how to obtain either of these rights, the maximum time period, or the legal assurances provided. As a result, many foreigners in

Indonesia are not willing to engage in such transactions because they do not know the regulations or feel insecure with the regulations.Renewal of rights

on expiry of the initial term is via an application to the National Land Agency and is subject to payment of a fee. An application must be submitted one

year before expiry of the term. Although the law is silent in regard to the period after the expiry of the extended terms, the consensus is that a land right

can be extended if there has been no infringement of the conditions attached to its usage. Is land owned by Balinese families by in heritage and never has

been formally registered with the Land Registration office. Before acquiring this type of land it has to registered. This takes usually 4 to 6 months.

What to do if a foreigner wants to use an Indonesian nameholder? It is best to use a well-known company to arrange your contracts, and it is not unusual

to ask a second opinion about the contracts. Important issues are in heritage and marriage. A foreigner married to an Indonesian woman, needs for example

to have a marriage contract. Procedures for Property Acquisition. All transactions of land rights must be via deeds executed before a land deed official at the

local office of the Pejabat Pembuat Akta Tanah (PPAT) where the land is located and must be registered in the regional office of the National Land Agency.

The PPATs are privately managed offices (usually run by a notary) authorized by the National Land Agency to handle land acquisition matters. Although there

is no regulation that contracts have to be in Indonesian language, it is recommended having contracts and agreements always drawn up and executed in

Bahasa Indonesia (or two languages) to prevent later arguments that the local partner did not fully understand the content.Property Sales Tax. When

property is sold there is tax to be paid by both the selling and the buying party. This is 5%, for each, over the amount that is on the sales contract.

Please note that the amount on the sales contract can be different from the actual price agreed upon. The tax has to be paid to the notary handling the

transaction. Project developers usually include all in their pricing schemes, but when negotiating please ask how sales tax will be handled. Many foreigners

got an unpleasant surprise after agreeing on a price and hearing of the extra tax.VAT Sales Tax. VAT on sale is 10% Luxury Sales Tax.20% Tax on sale of

landed houses with a building size of 400m2 or more or an installed electricity capacity above 6.600 watt.Documents drawn up at the Notary. There are

four orfive documents needed: 1.Sertipikat Hak Milik This form describes that the foreigner gives money to the Indonesian name holder to buy land and

property and the Indonesian gives this land and property to the foreigner to use it, out of his free will. The document also describes that the name holder

gives the foreigner permission to sell, to rent it out or rebuild the house or property. It states that the agreement, if necessary, passes automatically to the

heirs, as well of the foreigner as the name holders. It states that all of the property costs (electricity, water and taxes) have to be paid by the foreigner.

The official 'Sertipikat' will be in the foreigner’s possession as well as the statement of cession, signed by the name holder. Only with this 'Sertipikat Hak

Milik' it is possible to sell the land.2.In second document the selling of the property is granted to the foreigner. The name holder gives his explicit permission

to do so the name holder gives permission to rent out the house or property. 4. commits the name holder to co-operate, if the time ever comes that foreigners

can own land and property in Indonesia, in making the foreigner being the new name holder on the 'Sertipikat'. In case the law changes in the disadvantage

of foreigners, the name holder will co-operate in changing the agreement into a lease-contract of 50 years with option for another term. Property build after

the year 2000 are subject to pay tax over the used materials. Based on the paid tax the government will issue a receipt document which has to present also.

Choose the right Indonesian Partner To "own" your property or land. This may take some time and asking around. Talk with foreigners in your area, and don't

haste. Properties can also be owned by companies, like a PT or a PMA. A PT is an Indonesian "Limited" and a PMA is a foreign investment company which can

be owned 100% by foreigners. The PMA property license has to be renewed every 20 or 30 years. Setting up a PT will cost about 7 to 10 million IDR and a

PMA will cost around 35 million IDR. Hak Pakai for foreign investors. The government offers foreign investors land rights that are relevant to the nature of

their business. Prospective buyers of land for any purpose should consult the local government authorities on land use, planning and zoning. Based on a

Presidential Decree issued in June 1996, foreigners domiciled in Indonesia are allowed to own one residential property.

To meet the regulations of ownership of a house or an apartment, a foreigner must be deemed to be "beneficial to national development" and must be either:

An Indonesian resident (domiciled permanently in Indonesia) in possession of a Permanent. Resident Permit. A non-resident (domiciled in Indonesia only at

particular times) in possession of appropriate visit and immigration stamps in his/her passport. A foreigner can purchase or construct a house built only on

land with the right of use (Hak Pakai), the right of use with the right of proprietorship, or the right of lease (Hak Sewa). An apartment can only be purchased

by a foreigner on land with right of use (Hak Pakai). Foreigners are not, however allowed to purchase houses or apartments classified as "low cost housing"

or "very low-cost housing".

Ownership is limited to 25 years, and can be extended for another 25 years provided that the foreigner remains an Indonesian resident or meets the status

requirements. If the foreigner departs from Indonesia, the property must be sold or transferred within one year after departure. If the foreigner or his family

does not use the house for more than 12 consecutive years, then the foreigner forfeits the "being domiciled" status, for the purpose of owning residential property.